B) Youth in Care Award
One award of $1,000.00 is given annually to a female student who:
- Is a former Crown Ward of Simcoe Muskoka Family Connexions
- Is currently receiving services from Family Connexions
- Is transitioning out of care in the coming year
The student must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident in Canada
- Be a resident or previously a resident of Barrie and District
- Be a graduate of a Barrie and District High School, English or French
- Provide proof of acceptance at a university, college, or apprenticeship program
- Name the program of choice
- Provide two letters of reference (one school, one non-school)
An application form may be accessed through this link: 2021 YIC Application
It should be completed, scanned and submitted, together with a scanned official transcript and two letters of reference to email@example.com by March 27, 2020. As part of the application, the student will provide a brief written essay of approximately 75 words describing how this award will benefit their post-secondary education and their future goals.
A group comprised of one representative each from Simcoe Muskoka Family Connexions, CFUW Barrie President, CFUW Barrie Scholarship and Advocacy Committees will make the final decision based on discussions with Family Connexions and the written submissions. The successful candidate will be notified by April 30 each year.
The award will be presented at the school’s commencement. The money will be given in a single payment upon confirmation of enrolment and of the first instalment of tuition fees in a Canadian University, a diploma-granting Ontario College or an approved apprenticeship program.